maanantai 10. elokuuta 2015

Weekly Challenge #230 - Guest Blogger Erin Olson, CZT


Weekly Challenge #230 - Guest Blogger Erin Olson, CZT

Weekly Challenge #230: "Let’s all be ZenDivaDala"

I knew Erin's blog The Bright Owl already for a while but did not dare to make a zendala yet. Mostly because I am not sure how to copy the templates on tiles. Maybe I should just get thicker paper and try printing on it. Anyway. I was happy that Erin was the guest blogger. I had quite a fight with the printer at my parents place and very thin, grayish paper, but it still worked. I re-drew the string/template and yeah, below you see the result with what I came up. :) 

I got myself new Sanguine pens from Faber Castell. I decided to skip the shading today. :D  I kind of like the result, as it is quite different from what I usually do, but hei, it was fun. :)

Below you see a picture of my favorite Zentangle book, Das grosse Zentangle Buch by Beate Winkler. Even if the book is in German, we all know that we don't really need text for the tangles. The pictures are beautiful, the patterns very clear and it is made with so much love. It is definitely the best entangle book for me, personally. 

I also got myself the new pens and a new Moleskin, my must have. It#s my favorite notebook to tangle in. What do you use? A notebook, tiles or plain paper?


 

20 kommenttia:

  1. Firstly, I love the tile, especially that splash of colour. It really brings it to life. Secondly, I agree about the books; I was given one that had been translated into Dutch, which I don't speak, but the diagrams are so clear that I manage just fine. Thirdly, you asked what I draw on. Well, the silly answer would be - Anything!- but in fact I use thin card or water colour paper, at least 250gsm.

    VastaaPoista
  2. Love how your Zendala turned out. I print Erin's templates on 90lb card stock and tangle with 01 or 05 Micron pins mostly black but sometimes Sepia.

    VastaaPoista
  3. Lovely Zendala!
    I draw on white paper (200 Gr) or on 'official' tiles with an 01 Micron pen most often.

    VastaaPoista
  4. I myself always copies a template with carbon paper. You did a great job with this zendala, it's gorgeous. And yes, I LOVE Das Grosse Zentangle Buch too.

    VastaaPoista
  5. Lovely Zendala. The red color adds a nice pop to your zendala

    VastaaPoista
  6. Very nice combination of patterns.

    VastaaPoista
  7. In her blog post, Erin described how to transfer the string template onto a blank aisle, using graphite. It worked so well for me, that I explained the process in my blog post for this week's challenge. In the olden days, about 30 years ago, I would have had plenty of carbon paper around to use for tracing. Oh well, time marches on. I like what you did with your zendala tile. It feels very light and airy. Mine would sink to the bottom of the ocean like a stone. ;-)

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you Suzanne. I think I read that at some point but that sounds somehow so messy to me, I did not dare to try it yet. Maybe I should give it a try. :) I remember the good old carbon paper. I wonder if I can get that somewhere still. :) Thank you for the compliment. It's funny to hear what others think and say when I myself see all the flaws first. Funny. ^^

      Poista
  8. I love how you softened the design with your new Sanguine pens. Very lovely!

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you! The pens are a dream. I can not wait to try them with my tan tiles and add some pops of colour :)

      Poista
  9. The pens add great dimension! You filled it with lovely patterns. Sarah

    VastaaPoista
  10. Very lovely zendala! Wonderful your choice of tangles and the sanguine colour adds fine accents! Beate Winkler´s Zentangle book is one of my favorites, too!

    VastaaPoista
  11. Very pretty! I have been using tracing paper a lot lately for my art! It's great to get the outline of things..

    VastaaPoista
  12. Beautiful zendala. I love the bit of color. I draw in a sketchbook mostly or hand cut tiles from a pad of Bristol vellum or smooth-ish water color paper. I use Rapidograph refillable technical pens and Microns. I've been doing a lot of watercolor backgrounds to draw on.

    VastaaPoista
  13. Lovely zendala, and I really like the way you've used the delicate heartlines inside. I got carbon paper at a local art store - I think most of them have it, but you might have to ask where they keep it - likely with drafting materials.

    VastaaPoista
  14. Lovely work. Like the inclusion of organic tangles. Just to add to the mix, I use to use the graphite method to transfer the template but now I use more of an embossing method. I align the tile underneath the template copy and use a dry pen to trace the lines. It leaves a small indentation in the paper. If you want to ignore some of the lines in the template, you do have to decide this ahead of time.

    VastaaPoista
  15. Beautiful Zendala! I love that you chose to add color.

    VastaaPoista